Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Booking Time To Read

I am a great admirer of people who have time to read books for a second time or even more. This has come to mind as my wife, Maggie is undertaking a creative writing course and her reading list includes many titles she has read previously.

As a slow, very slow reader, I have rarely re-read a book with a few exceptions: “Kidnapped”; “Tess of the D’Urbervilles” and “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and “Shakey,” the Neil Young biography spring to mind.

I do love books but bedtime reading is hopeless as I get through a few pages before falling asleep. So, the next day when I pick up a book again, I have to go back over the pages I read. I can’t skip over passages or words as I hate to think of an author slaving away with text and plots for me to pay them less than full attention.

On holiday, Maggie - somehow despite the demands of our lively three-year-old son, Adam - managed three books during the 12-day break. I think I read about three chapters, if that.

So while Maggie rattles through books, there is always a healthy pile on the bedside table for me to tackle. Just started a Val McDermid thriller - so might have it finished before bonfire night.

No comments:

Post a Comment