Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 09, 2009

STAYING CLEAR

INTERESTING, but baffling nonetheless, are comments from a senior Glasgow cop saying that “older” folk should head down into Glasgow city centre at weekends to make it seem safer, or reduce safety concerns.

I can’t see how my sensible attitude to drinking and behaviour in public is going to dissuade dozens of yahoos and others, unwilling to curtail and unable to control their booze intake or even handle it, to tone down, quit being bolshie or aggressive and behave differently, I really can’t.

(And, you there, yes the girl whose clothes are barely visible, stop pewking in your pals’ handbag. That would go down a treat, wouldn’t it? Unheard, ignored, or possibly just an opening for some inebriate or drug-fuelled individual to inquire as to whether or not I would want my face re-arranged, more likely.

Big crowds of young people, elated that it’s the weekend, are entitled to be boisterous – I was, too, at their age. It’s part of growing up, an important part.

But, there are limits and boundaries that so many seem to overstep. Foul-mouthed, vulgar, bad-mannered attitudes certainly don’t make me want to share my social time in that sort of atmosphere.

Really, what difference would my appearance, or my friends of a similar vintage, really make to the rowdiness, the drunken-ness and the sheer unpleasantness of it all?

Last Saturday evening, I had A PINT in a city centre bar, a very busy city centre bar populated by drinkers over the age of 25 in the main. There was a lively bustle, but no threatening behaviour. That was in major contrast to what I saw on the short walk to Central Station.

The drunks were all, I’m convinced, under the age of 25 – and lot looked barely out of school, many were young women. There were arguments, one scuffle and a general air of menace. It was only 5.30 p.m.

I am perfectly willing to accept and believe that the majority of the weekend revellers are well-behaved, out to have fun and not to cause any trouble whatsoever. In fact, I’m convinced most go out for a laugh with their mates, no more, no less.

I’m no prude, far from it, nor am I a killjoy. But, Glasgow City Centre will stay a no-go area for me most weekends. I’m sorry, it’s just not for me. When we venture into town for a meal, we’ll jump a cab straight to the door, and take a cab back home.

While I am one of the “older” people the police chief refers to in the newspaper article, I’m sorry but I don’t see how I can help raise the tone of the city centre by my calm presence. I’m sure many others feel the same.

The story I refer to is at: www.heraldscotland.com:80/news/home-news/police-chief-urges-older-people-to-return-to-city-centre-at-weekends

No comments:

Post a Comment